Friday, March 2, 2012

Asparagus Quiche and Sprin Soup


I play a facebook game called Cafe World, and I recently
decided to try some of the dishes that are in the game's
cookbook...so here is my attempt at Asparagus Quiche (I added
the soup because quiche didn't seem like a well rounded meal).

First I prepared my pie crust.....by taking it out of the FREEZER!

I cooked some bacon till crisp, then removed it from the pan to drain
while I sauted some thin sliced sweet onion in the bacon fat.

Meanwhile, in a small steamer, I steamed a bunch of thin asparagus
cut into 1" diagonal pieces until bright green.

Then I mixed the crumbled bacon, sauted onion with the asparagus and
put it in the pie shell. I sprinkled a good bit of cheddar and swiss
cheese over all, beat 4 eggs with some s&p and nutmeg, and poured it
over the top.

I baked this in a 350 oven while I made my soup.

I peeled and trimmed some baby carrots, baby white mushrooms
and some green onion. I sauted the carrots till tender then added
the mushroom with some veggie broth and brought to a boil.
Then I reduced the heat to simmer. When the quiche was done, I added the
green onion slices and some baby spinach to the soup to wilt.

Viola! Dinner is served!
Adding a bit of Sauv Blanc to finish off the carrots would make
a lovely addition to the soup, but alas, I had none.
Of course, you can add any baby veggies to your soup; whatever looks
good, whatever is in your garden, whatever you like. A simple meal
chock full of healthy goodness-

PS- Be generous with salt and pepper in these dishes, but taste
along the way so you don't overdo.

No comments:

Post a Comment