Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pork BBQ and Slaw

So I made a pork BBQ, more on the vinegar side than the
tomato side. And I had to add some slaw, though most slaws
I cannot eat because of the raw carrots (allergy) and because I
don't really like them. However, Mark has been having a craving,
soooo, I broke down.

I used pork tenderloin because the shoulder had too much fat, and
I didn't have time to do that right, and the pork roasts were too small.
So I browned up my tenderloins in olive oil, then added all my spice....
cumin, chili powder, oregano, garlic, S&P, more chili powder, some
cayenne, smoked paprika and some onion powder. I got all that nice
and toasty then added some molasses and tomato paste and put the
lid on for a bit. I cut up some onions and bell peppers and tossed
them in, then stuck then lid back on. Turned the heat down and let
it all simmer a bit while I made the slaw. After that, I added some
brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, a touch of BBQ sauce, a touch of
worchetershire sauce and some red pepper flakes that I ground up from
our hot pepper plants. Then I put the lid back on and let it simmer away
for a couple of hours.

When it was ready, we had it on nice soft rolls, toasted in the oven.
It wasn't bad for a vinegar suace, and I did put a little tomato in it
anyway. Yum Yum!

I'm sure you can add whatever you like to make the recipe sing for you-
Now on to the Slaw-

I put apple cider vinegar in the bottom of a large bowl. Dissolved some
brown sugar in it, whisked in some course brown mustard, S&P, parsley,
celery seed and dill weed. I set that aside to let it get yummy.
I julienned a red pepper and a jicama, thinly sliced some onion and
purple cabbage. Tossed all the veggies in the vinegar mix, touched it with
a small spoon of mayo, mixed it up and set it in the fridge till
the BBQ was done. I Loved It!!
(hear me singing, see me spread my arms to the sky)

It was the perfect accompaniment to the spicy BBQ. I even had seconds.

I hope you all enjoy! Remember, I'd love to post your dishes, changes to
my recipes or something totally new! Happy Eating-

No comments:

Post a Comment