Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Blueberry BBQ sauce

I am trying to eat better. I always try to do so, but then I find that
I am lacking time to cook, or my FMS and arthritis pain is too great, and I
start eating lots of take-out. I always look for new flavors and ways
to add healthy foods into my diet; and now, more than ever, I want to
eat more nutritionally sound for health reasons. I am learning to listen to
what my body craves (not just sugary pastries and chocolate!).

So here is a BBQ sauce that you can use on anything and will give you the great benefits of antioxidents.

I used a pint of fresh blueberries. I added approximately
1 giant tbs of tomato paste, 1 1/2 -2 tbs of molasses, cumin,
chili powder, 2 cloves of minced garlic, 1/2 minced small red onion,  4 jalapenos (this was very hot, so reduce the peppers
if you need to), a small amount of oregano, salt, pepper and lemon zest.

In light olive oil, I sauted the onion, garlic and peppers till it started to get soft.
Then I added my blueberries. Once that was simmering away, I added all other ingredients,
except the lemon zest. Just before brushing my meat I added the zest.

This was enough for 6 pork chops, so make more or less as needed.
Yummy Yum Yum!

**My tip for the right amount of spices is to use generously, but add slowly until
each is fragrant but not overpowering.

No comments:

Post a Comment