Saturday, September 15, 2018

Ginger Syrup and Candied Ginger

I have been having tummy issues thanks in part to taking steroids and nsaids for most of my life.
So for queasiness I have been resorting to natural remedies, and one I love is ginger.

Today I was feeling particularly queasy when I had to stop by Walmart for some cat food.
So I headed right to the produce section and found the ginger root.
I figured I could make some ginger syrup to pour in my tea to soothe my tummy. It is so simple to make; just 1C sugar and 1C water, sliced ginger and simmer away for about 30 min. Personally I use about 3/4C sugar since I don't like it as sweet.

Now that I was done, I thought, isn't it a shame to throw all this good ginger away? And I had been toying with the idea of making my own candied ginger, again to soothe a queasy tum tum. So here it is, ready made for me. All I had to do was spread it out, sprinkle with a little more sugar and let it dry. I wanted to put it on a rack, but the pieces were too little, so I just spread it out on parchment. It's taking a little longer to dry, but it will be perfect.

Here it is drying with my syrup cooling behind it. I look forward to having homemade ginger without all the preservatives and such.

No comments:

Post a Comment