Saturday, August 7, 2010

Chicken with Mango Sauce and Mango chutney

Mary came by for dinner and she wanted something summery with mango, so....
I looked up a recipe from Bobby Flay on the Food Network for a
southwestern chicken with mango. However, I switched out a few things,
some didn't work, but I'll try to adjust it here for better success.
Of course, feel free to send me your favorite adjustments and substitutions
and I will post them for all to see.

I marinated some chicken breasts in a mixture of ground cumin, toasted cumin
seed, garlic, lemon and lime zest and juice, chopped jalepeno( I may switch
up to habenero next time as Mark said it wasn't hot enough) and S&P.

Then I made a sauce of chicken stock, peppercorns, garlic, red wine vinegar,
white wine vinegar, honey, mango concentrate, pepper and a piece of dried
mango. I simmered this till it reduced down to practically nothing.

Then I made a mango chutney with chopped mango, red onion, jalepenos,
lime zest and juice, cumin, cilantro and S&P.

Bobby's recipe called for cotija cheese and you were supposed to dust
the chicken with it and cumin before sauteing. I couldn't find that particular
cheese here in Walkersville, so I substituted asiago, added some ground
cracker crumbs(because I didn't have bread crumbs) corriander and cayenne.
I sauted the chicken(but the cheese stuck to the pan) until golden brown
on both sides, and was supposed to finish in the oven, which I did, but
after all the crust stuck to the pan, the color on the chicken was no longer
good, so I put it back on the stove top and finished it there. Then I
removed the chicken to a plate and put the above sauce in the fry pan to
make a great pan sauce from my stuck on bits. It was a yummy thicker sauce
than the original recipe.

Next time I won't use cheese in the coating, and will have proper bread crumbs,
and just cook all the way through on the stove top, it will make it a whole
lot easier. Also, next time I will just make my pan sauce, and not bother with
simmering large amounts of liquid away to nothing.

Bobby Flay's recipe is called Cumin Crusted Chicken with Cotija and Mango-
Garlic Sauce with Green Onion Pesto Mashed Potatoes.

The potatoes I made with it were excellent and I followed the recipe pretty
closely, though my measurements weren't so precise.

Thank you Mary for the inspiration of mango. And a big Thank You to
Bobby Flay and the Food Network for the basics of the dish!!

No comments:

Post a Comment