Saturday, July 31, 2010

Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Fig Chutney

I had called my sis to ask what kind of fruit would go with pork.
She didn't really know, but didn't like my pear idea (she just doesn't
like pears) so she mentioned figs. Figs? Hmmm, good idea, but where to
get them in Walkersville MD???

I finally found some sunmaid dried figs in Safeway. I also thought
of looking for preserves, but didn't have to.

So I made a spice rub of kosher salt, fennel seeds, garlic, pepper,
sage and cardamom. I ground it in my morter & pestal to open up
the oils and flavors, then rubbed a little olive oil on the tenderloin
and spread the spices all over it. I then let it rest a few minutes
while I got my pan hot and started a potato and preheated my oven.

When my pan was good and hot, I seared the tenderloin on all sides.
I then deglazed the pan with a little Fume Blanc, but a dry reisling
would be nice too. Covered it and put it in a 325 oven, for around 20 min.

While the tenderloin was roasting, I carmelized an onion and my dried
figs in a 50/50 mix of butter and olive oil. when they were good and
brown I added a sprinkling of salt and some Fume Blanc. Let that warm
through and reduce a little, then I put in a chopped pear. Stirred
in a pat of blue cheese and about 1/3 of a log of goat cheese,
let it melt then kept it warm while I finished up the tenderloin.

When the tenderloin was med rare I removed it from the oven and let it
rest for about 10-15 min. I served it with the chutney and for sides
I chose a potato and roasted asparagus.

It was very yummy! Mark even said I should write the recipe down
and asked if he could make it for his hunting buddies. I said sure,
but he would need a lot more meat! LOL

Thanks Mary, for the idea of figs!!

1 comment: