Monday, April 26, 2010

Turkey and Artichoke Lasagna

Well, it was a rushed dinner here at the Wratten household. Mark had to go
into work early (yes, he's on the night shift again) and I was working till 5pm.
I had to rush out in the rain and pick up some old towels donated to the AWLFC
and get a few things for dinner. I had planned on having stuffed shells and a
good salad, but a trip that should have taken 45 min turned into 1 1/2 hours.
It seems no one remembered how to drive in the wet stuff...

So I changed my dinner idea into a lasagna and put lots of veggies in it. That
way I didn't have to make a salad....it turned out wonderful, and I felt healthy
at the end of it all.

I chopped an onion and a huge portabello mushroom, sauted it with garlic and
then browned my ground turkey when they were soft. I then added some chopped
red pepper and artichoke hearts (packed in water, drained). I added a lot of
dried basil, since I didn't have fresh on hand, some salt and pepper. Then I
sprinkled everything with a little flour. I cooked that till it got thick
and added some cream. Stired it up and wilted in my baby spinach and
added 1 can of italian diced tomatoes.

Meanwhile, I boiled my noodles to al dente.

In a seperate bowl I mixed together my ricotta cheese, parmesan, an egg and lots
of parsley.

Then I layered noodles, cheese mix, turkey sauce, shredded mozarella, noodles,
cheese mix, turkey sauce, mozarella. I finished with noodles on top. Sprinkled
with mozarella and parmesan, put a lid on it and baked it for 20 min.

It could have used another 10 minutes in the oven, taking the lid off to brown
the cheese, but as I said, Mark had to go. So we ate a rushed meal that had
most of my salad in it.

It was good and I will use this recipe again but perhaps tweak it a little.
Feel free to put your own spin on it, have a glass of wine and take the time
to enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment