Friday, April 2, 2010

Jerk Burgers and Fried Green Beans

Well, I guess I need to tell you about my failures as well as my successes. In trying
for the TGIF Fried Green Beans, I completely failed. I made my batter, and it looked
and tasted good. I bought frozen green beans (so I didn't have to blanch them
first...thought I'd save a step) and thawed, drained and dried them. Put them in the
batter....all looked good at this point, but then....they hit the pan. Of course
I don't have a deep fryer, so I used my big pampered chef family skillet. I heated
my oil before dropping in my beans, but all the batter sank to the bottom, stuck,
and my beans got soggy, quickly. I ended up throwing the whole batch out.

I'll try those again some other time-

My Jerk Burgers however, were a success. I had a mix of half lean beef and half pork,
but I'm sure you could make it with chicken or turkey as well. I seasoned with salt,
pepper, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. Then mixed it minced onion and garlic. Added
habenero sauce, a touch of oil, worcestershire, a splash of balsamic vinegar and
a little brown sugar. Formed into patties and grilled up.

I toasted my buns and melted monteray jack cheese on the bottom, slathered the tops
with a pineapple ketchup and stacked the burger up with fixins. Yum-oh!

The pineapple ketchup was made with tomato paste, a little white sugar, a splash of
apple cider vinegar, crushed pineapple and some juice with a sprinkling of salt.

I will ask my readers if you have a good recipe to share for fried green beans,
and if you don't mind, I will post it for others to see your success.

Hope you all enjoy the burgers with a nice, cool island drink. And don't make them
with habenero sauce if you don't like them hot!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, they can't all be successes - but yours primarily are! This sounds delicious though, spicy too.

    ReplyDelete