Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Spicy Pork Stir Fry with Kale

Aha! Another spicy dish for everyone. Just leave it out or use it sparingly
if you can't take the heat.

I was feeling like a little chinese tonight, but not carryout, so I got
a pork tenderloin and some celery, red and yellow bells, a small bunch of kale
and a small jar of apricot preserves. "Apricot preserves?", you say-
Well, I'll get to that in a minute.

I knew I had my good brown and wild rice mix, some onion, some chili paste,
some garlic, some cilantro, some teriyaki....and all the other ingredients I
needed at home, so off I went with minimal damage at the checkout.

I started my rice with some beef broth and added the washed and prepped kale.
Brought that to a boil, then turned it down.

In the meantime, I cut my pork into stir fry strips, marinated it
in teriyaki, a couple drops of sesame oil, olive oil, chili paste, cilantro,
garlic, a sprinkle of chinese 5 spice and apricot preserves.
Here I threw on a little more heat by adding some crushed pepper flakes
I made with some pequin and cayenne peppers.

I cut my bell peppers, celery and onion on the bias, so I had nice pretty pieces.

Then all I had to do was heat my pan, throw it all in and stir fry.
By this time my rice and kale was ready, so I served it all up in a
heaping mound on the plates. I didn't worry too much about portion control
because it was all so healthy.

Mark is even taking the leftovers for lunch, so it must have been good.
Hope you all make it one of your go to meals. Also, try it with some plum
preserves or orange marmelade in place of the apricot.

No comments:

Post a Comment