Friday, March 26, 2010

Cannelini Chicken with Spinach and Cream Cheese

There was nothing exciting around the table last night, just tacos, because they were
quick and easy. With Mark working nights now, it's a little harder to have a nice and
nutritious meal when we both are ready to eat.

Tonight Mark went to play poker, and then work an overtime shift, so I invited my
sis, Mary, for dinner. I knew this was a weekend without the kids for her, and I
just wanted to see her. So I made a quasi-italian chicken dinner.....

I took boneless, skinless chicken breasts and browned them, with salt, pepper
and basil. Then I removed the chicken and carmelized (or deep browned) thinly
sliced onions, added lots of garlic and some diced tomatoes with a touch of
white wine. Let that simmer for a few minutes before adding the chicken back in.
Cover, and simmer for 20 min.

In the meantime I trimmed up some baby asparagus, tossed it with olive oil,
basil, cherry tomaotoes, salt and pepper. I roasted these off in a 400 degree oven.

I also took out the low fat bisquick to make a simple batter with parsley,
parmesan, butter and milk. I had the consistancy of "drop" biscuits and baked
them off in a 400 degree oven as well.

By this time my chicken was ready for the finale of cannelini beans, cream cheese
and spinach which I added in that order. I drained the beans and rinsed them off,
melted the cream cheese to make a nice sauce, then wilted the spinach in at the
last minute. (I covered the pan to wilt the spinach faster)

Served each breast with a healthy dollop of (thick) sauce, a portion of
asparagus and a biscuit. I only wish I had time to make a dessert.....

Hope y'all enjoy your trip to Italy with this dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment