Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Venison Ragout over Rice Medly

How do you like the names of my recipes? I'm thinking this may help you all search
for things you have on hand so you can make dinner without going to the store
each time. Please let me know if this helps you out?

After talking to my sister about her pork chops, I was faced with what to make
for Mark and myself. Well, we always have venison on hand, and my bulk foods
order came in so I have 5lbs of brown/wild rice mix....I knew I had some veggies, so why not think of something....

Here's what I did. I took a hunk off the end of my frozen pepper bacon and cooked
the pieces off in a dutch oven. I took the bacon out and set it aside for later.
Then I browned up some thick carrot slices in the bacon fat. I got a good
brown on them. I then added my venison stew pieces and browned them up.
I took some wheat flour with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, cardamom, corriander,
cloves and ground mustard; sprinkled it in over my venison and carrots to make
my roux. Then I poured in a little vermouth. I added my veggies (celery,
mushrooms, peas, red bell peppers and onions) and stirred everything up.
I added tomato paste, and stirred again. By this time it was smelling delicioso....and I added some beef broth to simmer it all in.
While that was cooking down and getting wonderful, I cooked my rice mix in beef
broth, worcestershire and salt. By the time my rice (yes slow cooking rice)
was done, my venison was tender and yummy! I spooned the ragout over the rice,
topped it with crumbled bacon and ate it....

It could have used a little something, and I think it would have been nice to put
a handful of dried currants in it, but I didn't have any. It was still yummy.

Hope you all enjoy it too, and don't feel like you have to use venison.
If you do want to though, you can come visit me and I will give you some, unless
your hubby hunts them too-

Until my next forage into the dinner world- good eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment