Thursday, March 4, 2010

Thursday, March 4

Ahh...Enchillada night!
As many of you know, I suffer from allergies of all kinds. Unfortunately, they
include corn, so usually enchilladas are a no-no. However, I make my own, and use
the things I am not allergic to and because they are so good, I have people
asking me to make them for them as well-

I actually boil a pork roast till it is falling apart, and this time I am saving
all the boiling liquid to use as a medium for cat meds. (Ha- I will kill that
second bird...) So there are no great flavorings going into the meat this way,
this time. However, if you want to impart more flavor here, use some wine (a
light red or a sauv blanc is nice) added to the water, throw in a bay leaf or two
maybe even whole garlic cloves (sans skin) to boil down; they will paste up
easily when you shred the meat.

Then for the sauce....You can always go buy enchillada sauce. They do make really
good ones, however; since I am avoiding corn starch, I make my own. I use tomato
sauce, some adobo sauce, some reconstituted dried peppers (blended up into a paste
with the reconstituting liquid) and all my spices: cumin, garlic, corriander, oregano, chili powder, paprika, cilantro, whatever else feels and smells
mexican to me that day.

I shred my meat, put in the sauce over low heat, (save a little without meat
for topping) add lots of green onions and jalepenos, then let it simmer for however
long I feel necessary.

I will warm my flour tortillas (remember, no corn) so they are pliable, and then
start filling with cheese, meat mixture, more cheese....roll them up. Of course,
I make a big batch and we eat them, but you can freeze them at this point, in
baggies or a plastic container. When ready to put them in the oven I top them
off with the reserved sauce, more green onions and cheese.....Mmm Mmm Good!

You can serve them with the traditonal rice and beans or make a great salad with
guacamole, or even have a fruit salad along side. Always nice with a cold beer,
or sparkling wine...a little on the sweet side to cut the hot peppers. And I do
make them hot(!) so prepare them to the heat level you can stand.

El Apetito Bueno!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds absolutely wonderful, Babs, really yummy. In fact, I swear that I can almost smell how good that simmering pork is going to taste. (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how I just got home from eating enchiladas out and came home to discovering your blog! Love the idea and will follow!!

    ReplyDelete