Sunday, March 28, 2010

Not Yo Mama's Tuna Noodle

What? Tuna Noodle....I can hear the cries of disgust now. Every once in a while,
I just need to have some, though.

Mark has gotten the cold I had last week, and it is a cloudy, chilly, damp day,
so a warm casserole is in order.....and I know I am breaking the cardinal rule of
no cheese with seafood; but hey, it's still good.

Boil your egg noodles. Really any pasta will do; put the bow tie pasta in and people
won't even know this is Tuna Noodle.

Saute up a good batch of mushrooms, I use a mix of baby bellas and button 'shrooms.

If you feel like really stepping it up, get a couple tuna steaks, grill them with
some lemon pepper and flake them up to put in the casserole. If this seems like
too much work, get a good quality canned tuna. I generally use Albacore tuna-

Make a loose sauce with a roux of flour, butter, olive oil, lemon juice. Add
whole milk or cream. Season it with some salt and a little worcestershire sauce.

Put your noodles, tuna, sauted mushrooms in a casserole dish coated with butter.
Add your sauce and stir all together. Sprinkle with a little bread crumbs, parsley,
parmesan cheese and chopped scallions or chives. Zest a little lemon on top.

Bake away.....
See it's not so bad after all.

1 comment: