Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Mary's Creamy Tarragon Pork Chops

My sister called me yesterday to ask how to make some nice pork chops
without drying them out. Well, there's the don't overcook them rule, and there's
the cook them with liquid rule. I find pork tends to dry out anyway you
make it, but cooking them in liquid "low and slow" seems to at least make
them very tender, so you don't notice so much. I wish I was an Iron Chef and knew
how to get them tender and juicy!

Anyway, Mary told me what she had in the house, and we came up with this recipe
for her chops.

Get some nice thick pork chops, either bone in or not. Mix up a dredging flour
with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, ground mustard...and whatever
else you might like. Dredge the chops and sear off at high heat.

Remove the chops when seared, and make a roux with the rest of your flour and
butter or olive oil. Deglaze with some white wine. Stir down until almost gone,
then add some heavy cream (milk, sour cream....). Turn the heat down so this simmers.
Add some dijon mustard and mix thoroughly. Put in a little worcestershire ans
stir. Put the porkchops back in, cover and simmer for an hour. Before serving,
add some fresh tarragon (or dried if it's all you have).

Serve up with sides of your choice.

Mary said the kids ate every last drop, so I'd say they were a success!

1 comment: